As an important part of the cultural heritage of the area, Schloss Glücksburg was transformed in 1922 into a foundation by the ducal house and opened to the public as a museum.
The castle, however, has remained more than a museum to this day. It has always been important to the family that the personal touch of the rooms and the furnishing continued and, in this way, they have ensured that the visitor finds a “living” residence which could be re-inhabited at any time.
The important collection of Dutch tapestries and Flemish leather wall-covering is a particular attraction of the castle. The stucco ceilings in the Red Hall and the adjacent rooms are among the earliest in Schleswig-Holstein.
The ceiling frescoes in the chapel date back to its construction. The carved wooden altar goes back to the time of the Thirty-Years’-War.
Numerous portraits from the16th century to the present time document the sometimes turbulent lives of the Oldenburg and Glücksburg families and bear witness to the vicissitudes of German and Danish history. Mementos from the uprising of 1848 in Schleswig-Holstein and of the German-Danish War in 1864, as well as the striking ‘Neuruppiner Bilderbogen' (illustrations depicting current events and other information) contribute to an appreciation of the varied lifestyles of the members of the ducal family.
Selected pieces of furniture from Empire to Biedermeier, exquisite porcelain and silver complete the collection.