The castle is of square construction consisting of three adjoining gabled buildings with a length and width of 30 m each. It is flanked at each corner by octagonal towers with a diameter of 7m.
The square layout with the towers at each corner serving as pavilions and the symmetrical order of the rooms with the halls in the middle section, reflect the French model. A ridge turret, dated 1768, can be found in the middle part of the roof. Apart from the upper floor, the rooms, including the large Knights’ and Banquets’ hall, are arched.
The chapel, which at one time was reserved for the ducal family and court personnel, is located in the lower vaults. Later it served also as the official parish church. It contains the crypt of the older Glücksburg family which died out in 1779.
A broad stone dike leads from the castle to a large square courtyard, flanked on three sides by later buildings (including the new ‘Kavaliershaus’ from 1786).
The impressive lanterns were added in 1859 and originate from Schloss Amalienborg in Copenhagen. The main gate which was renewed in the 17th century adjoins the coach house. A granite bridge – initially a draw bridge – leads from the gate across the old moat.